The proposal today is effectively to make mandatory labelling outlining the dangers of inhaling LPG gas. I’m prepared to concede in this place that I didn’t even realise this was a thing until Patrick’s circumstance came to my attention. Labelling of this nature is standard across a range of other gas and aerosol products to prevent other forms of hazing or gas inhalation. Current regulations regarding the wholesale distribution of LPG have similar warnings, but there’s a gap in the current regulations when LPG gas is sold in small amounts for domestic use, like gas cylinders for barbecues. Although LPG may contain a pictorial showing that it is a flammable liquid and it contains gas under pressure, it doesn’t require information about the dangers of inhaling the substance. In my view, this is a regulatory gap and it must be fixed because Patrick is by no means the only casualty of inhaling LPG. I’m advised and verily believe that roughly one in six people under the age of 16 have tried inhaling an aerosol of some form or an LPG gas protect. Looking internationally to countries that have collected statistics, Patrick’s family also suggests the situation is dire. In America, it is estimated that 200 children a year die from directly inhaling LPG. Closer to home, in New Zealand, between 2002 and 2014, 60 lives were taken from LPG gas misuse. If labelling changes are needed to prevent these practices, then I fully support those regulatory amendments.

This also impacts my electorate, as, I expect, it impacts across all our electorates. This is a phenomenon that is sneaking up on us as young people and their behaviours change. Patrick intended to have a fun night out after having a barbecue with friends. He attended a friend’s party. Patrick made a mistake. If he were aware of the risks, I’d like to think, and indeed I believe, he would have made a different choice. But, to be quite frank, he wasn’t aware of those risks. As you’ve heard from the member for Grey, one huff, as they call it, can be enough to extinguish a life. This regulatory change would give young people the information they need to rethink this dangerous situation—at least stop and reflect before it’s perhaps too late. Preventing avoidable death is why these labelling changes are important.

Patrick’s uncle and his father, Adrian, have so far fought hard and I commend them for their fight. I am proud to support their efforts by supporting these changes. They lost a beloved family member, which can never be undone. Patrick’s family are now pursuing these changes to prevent this tragedy affecting another family and another community like Port Lincoln. In my view, we should do all we can to ensure that this grief is not visited on another young person or their family and we need to act before it’s too late. I want to conclude by commending Adrian and Andrew for their campaign and pass on my family’s condolences to Patrick’s family. I genuinely pray with all my heart that I don’t have to give a speech on this topic in this place again.