The Liberal National Government will invest $3 million to address the need for Drug and alcohol rehabilitation services throughout the Limestone Coast.
The funding over three years, will be provided to Uniting Communities to deliver its New Roads Program in Mount Gambier, and Substance Misuse Limestone Coast Working Party will receive funding to develop a long term strategy for the region.
From July 1, 2019 Uniting Communities will receive $825,000 per annum for a Non-Residential Day Program that will have two components;
• An intensive day program offering people who have secure accommodation the structure of a residential rehabilitation program without the need to leave their home.
• Home detox program, in conjunction with a General Practitioner services that will include: withdrawal services; Medical support post withdrawal support and a treatment plan to addresses behaviour change and harm minimisation.
Substance Misuse Limestone Coast will receive $175,000 per annum to establish a sustainable community based collaborative that will incorporate;
• Public Education Programs
• Reactive Treatment Programs
• Training and education for professionals Minister for Health, Greg Hunt said the Government is committed to supporting Australian communities in their fight against substance abuse.
“Alcohol and drug misuse affects not just the individuals involved, but the people and communities around them,” Minister Hunt said.
“Treatment services are crucial to enable people with substance problems to get their lives back on track.” Authorised by Greg Hunt MP, Liberal Party of Australia, Somerville, Victoria.
“It was a persistent and determined lobbying effort by the Member for Barker, that helped to secure the funding, for a community he is clearly very passionate about,” Minister Hunt said.
Member for Barker, Tony Pasin welcomed the news and took the opportunity to reflect on the Federal Government’s initiatives in the region that sought to address the issue of substance abuse.
“The Minister has been incredibly receptive to hearing my concerns on this issue over the past couple of years. I thank the Minister for working with me on this. It’s a great outcome.”
“I know alcohol and other drug abuse is an issue for the Limestone Coast and it is something I’ve been speaking about with the Minister for a long time.”
“My advocacy within Government has seen Mount Gambier receive funding for one of the first Local Drug Action Teams in the country, the Good Sports Program rollout across the region and Focus One set up a dedicated office in Mount Gambier.”
“Stand-alone these initiatives may seem small but together they play a very important role in addressing the issue.”
The Liberal Nation Government’s strong economic management ensures the continued record investment into vital health initiatives including mental health, life-saving medicines, Medicare and hospitals.
Authorised by Greg Hunt MP, Liberal Party of Australia, Somerville, Victoria